Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Spirit of the Marathon

This past Thursday, exactly 2 months before Boston marathon, I went to see the movie, Spirit of the Marathon. Inspiring and informational, the movie follows for pro athelets, first-time and many-time marathoners through training and running the 2005 Chicago Marathon.

I do not know much about running and race history. So I was very impressed to learn about Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to officially enter register for the Boston Marathon, men-only event at the time.

My one complaint is that right away the movie claimed that crossing the finish line of a marathon changes your life. I am not a fan of such big, "powerful" statements. I have crossed the finish line of the Adirondack Marathon, and I don't think my life has been any different ever since.

The big statement reminded me of people asking me if my first trip to Honduras was a life-changing event. No, it was not. I think the decision to train and run a marathon, just like my decision to go to El Hogar, is the result, or the evidence if you will, of some change in outlook on life.

No comments: