Monday, March 24, 2008

The Coming Weeks of Torture

Time has come to pay for my wonderful 20 mile run in DC. I was finally able to see a physical therapist about my aching IT band today. (With the marathon coming up in just 4 weeks, everyone in Boston seems to have lined up physical therapy appointments). And the verdict is (drumroll please):
  • Yes, I will probably be able to complete the marathon--my chances are higher then 50%. (Am I supposed to be happy about that number? I suppose even a healthy person's chances to complete a marathon have to be somewhat less then 100%.)
  • No, I should not run at all. While running 2 or 3 miles at a time will probably not hurt me, the risk of re-injury is higher then the potential benefit.
So from now on, potentially all the way to the marathon, I will be getting super intimate with the elliptical machines at the gym. I stand 0% chance to run my 3rd and last 20 mile run this weekend. While hordes of people will be scaling the grand hills of Newton, I will be sulking in the gym.

I thought 65 minutes on the elliptical was torture (after 7.5 miles on the treadmill) a week ago! Just you wait till I do it for 4 hours this coming weekend. I sympathize with the surrounding public. Any volunteers to spin your legs next to me and keep me company for at least part of the time?

Let me just say that advice is welcome, morale requires an uplift, and pity is intolerable. Good night.

3 comments:

jcnemecek said...

I love the elliptical machine--although I can't quite do it next to you from here.

Once I'm stable enough to go to the gym, I will work the elliptical machine here in solidarity with you, though!

Anonymous said...

Helen,

Keep the faith!

As a DFMCer in 2007, & being tangentially involved this yr, I can sympathize. Although I was fortunate not to suffer thru any major injuries last yr or this, living in NYC I've been subjected not only to long runs solo in Central Park, but the occasional 18 miler on the dreadmill to squeeze in the miles when weather & travel wouldn't allow otherwise. It's not fun....but we get it done.

& I'm sure as Jack has repeated many times, less truly is more. The fact that you've already done 2 20s means you not only have most of the fitness required to complete the marathon, but going to the gym will ensure that you don't lose much. Remember, the achievement is really in the journey, which you've succeeded @ just by taking this on, & if you can do it, by finishing. Unless you or I happen to be from Addis Ababa, odds are we weren't going to win anyway; when things look bleak, remember why you got involved in the 1st place, remember that there are many of your teammates in the same predicament, remember all the good you are doing....& remember that 26 days from now, you'll be 1 of the privileged to be able to claim that they ran the Bos Marathon.

Good luck!

Roy

Helen said...

Roy,
Thank you so much. Your comment has really lifted my spirits. I really appreciate your support!