Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Gym Marathon

To make up for not running, I simulated my 3rd 20 mile run by doing 4 hours and 15 minutes worth of other aerobic exercises at the gym today--about an hour and a half on an arc trainer, followed by about an hour and 15 minutes on an elliptical machine, and then another hour and a half on the arc trainer. At first, I was beating my head against the wall, internally of course. People happily running on treadmills in the row in front of me were not too helpful. But by the 2 hour mark I have settled down. Perhaps it had something to do with being half way done. I have accepted my plight of working out without moving a yard. Gradually I have become somewhat amused by people like Jeremy "Twitcher" Something or Other jumping and twisting in the air together with his motorcycle on the mute TV on the wall. 4 hours 15 minutes is a good time--after all I only planned on going for 4 hours, but decided to push myself for 15 minutes extra. Very satisfying. Only 22 days to the marathon. I am psyched!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are my hero. You set a goal and you did it. Four hours on an elliptical machine! You can do anything. I believe in you. IC

Andrea Hill said...

Good for you! I did my 20 miler on the dreadmill today as well.. I zoned out thanks to my iPod, however. Boston is sooo great, hopefully we'll have decent weather!

(found you via a google blog alert for "marathon", btw)

Ryan said...

Helen that's amazing. You have real commitment, I'm impressed.

jcnemecek said...

Very nice. I'm back and up to my full schedule on the elliptical machine, although it is nothing like your schedule. But still--I spin my legs in solidarity with you.